Latest iOS 6 was launched by fall of 2012 with a lot of new great features. Latest iPhone 5 comes up with the new operating system but existing A4 processor devices such as iPhone 4 iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4th generation. The latest iOS has some attractive features for users who have not purchased the new device. Still Apple supports iOS 6 installation on existing devices you have.
At the same time, if you want to Jailbreak your device without any hassles and want to upgrade to iOS 6 as well then there is a specified way in which you need to preserve the baseband. iPhone dev team released redsn0w 0.9.15 Beta which has some important features in order to Jailbreak iOS 6. [Also Read: Downgrade iPhone 3G / 3GS Baseband 06.15.00 To 05.13.04]
At the moment Tethered Jailbreak is available for iOS 6 devices. Untethered Jailbreak is expected soon but if you are going to upgrade to iOS 6 while preserving baseband, it will be much more easier to Jailbreak the devices. The redsn0w 0.9.15 Beta was initially launched by iPhone Dev Team but there were some errors in it therefore iPhone Dev Team released redsn0w 0.9.15b2 and the latest version is redsn0w 0.9.15b3 so far which lets you to upgrade to iOS 6 without any errors.
Its important to note that you can carryout tethered jailbreak and is only meant for devices boasting an A4 processor (or below): iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and the 4th generation iPod Touch. Devices with A5 processors (iPhone 4S, iPad 2), with A5X (iPad 3) and A6 (iPhone 5) processors are not supported for this Jailbreak at this time.
How to Upgrade iOS 6 Without Upgrading Baseband
Following is the process to Upgrade to iOS 6 preserving baseband:
1. First of all download these files:
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 from for Mac OS X and Windows.
- Apple iOS 6 for iPhone 3GS
- Apple iOS 6 for iPhone 4
- Apple iOS 6 for iPhone 4 Verizon
2. Connect the device to your PC or Mac and open redsn0w.
- Windows user should open redsn0w by right click on the executable file, select Properties and open new menu go to Compatibility and check Run this program in compatibility mode for then select Windows XP, click Apply and then OK.
- Disable Gatekeeper system on OS X Mountain Lion.
3. Now go to Extras > even more, press Restore button and choose iOS 6 ipsw file which you have downloaded to your computer.
4. When IPSW selected from computer, redsn0w pop up will display a message asking if you want to keep baseband intact during the restore process. This is the most important point where you need to pay attention. Pressing Yes will keep the baseband intact while clicking No will update your baseband. Once the desired option is selected, redsn0w is going to ask you to enter the device in pwned DFU Mode. 5. Now enter your device into the DFU MODE. First power off your iPhone without disconnecting from PC / Mac and follow the steps below:
- Press the power button and hold for 3 seconds;
- Without releasing the power button press the Home button for 10 seconds.
- After 10 seconds release the Power button and the phone should be in DFU mode by now.
6. After entering into the DFU mode, redsn0w will start to install that ipsw you downloa for the iPhone, and finally tell you that everything went smoothly and the device should be usable. At the moment Tethered Jailbreak is available for iOS 6 devices. Untethered Jailbreak is expected soon but if you are going to upgrade to iOS 6 while preserving baseband, it will be much more easier to Jailbreak the devices.