You must have experienced several iTunes errors before this one as well. Whenever the error message on iTunes is seen, it irritates us because it wastes our lot of precious time which could be used in some constructive way. Apple iTunes is a complex software and over a period of time we have realized that more errors are seen on Windows as compared to Mac operating system. The reason is obvious that Mac is Apple’s prime OS X which supports their own features with much more ease. However, it doesn’t mean that Mac is free from iTunes error. You can always face an unwanted and annoying error if you are using Mac.
Unknown Error (9) on iTunes
We have seen a lot of complaints by users of iOS devices on various forums including Apple support. The Unknown Error 9 comes when trying to update or restore your iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, iPad 2,iPad 3 and iPod Touch 3G, 4G on iOS 5, 5.1, 5.0.1, 5.1.1. Some devices are permanently stuck in ‘recovery mode’ and you are unable to restore. Now coming over to the point first of all we should know that what can be the likely causes of iTunes Error 9.
Causes of iTunes Error 9
Here we are going to guide you about fixing of iTunes error 9 which comes on due to following reasons:
Unknown iTunes error 9, usually occurs during restore process. The error is very common when you have your device not restarted since long, your PC has not been restarted for quite some time are the most common reasons which creates sync / connectivity problem during restore process.
Tips on How to Fix iTunes Error 9
When you have this error you may follow following tips to by pass this error:-
- Check if your iTunes is up-to-date, if not update.
- Check if your PC is updated , specially for USB drivers update.
- Must use the USB cabe which came with your device as locally available cables are usually not up to company standards.
- Check if your device has been detected correctly when you are using front USB port of your PC, if not use the USB ports at the back of PC.
- Use direct USB connection to PC and do not use USB hubs or extensions.
- Rebooting your device or PC may also help in resolving the issue.
- For Mac users, check if the current user has correct permissions on iTunes update folder (~/Library/iTunes/iPhone\ Software\ Updates/) if not set permissions to 755 / 777.
- Check if free space is available on your device, if not, choose NOT to sync content on the Music, Photos, Podcasts, and Video tabs. Click Apply and then update. This will update your phone . After update reselect contents on the Music, Photos, Podcasts, and Video tabs and click sync.
Above are the most common issues related to unknown error 9 and by using above steps / tips you can resolve the error. If you are trying to carryout this restore process to Untethered Jailbreak your device then follow our Absinthe Jailbreak tutorial for iOS 5.1.1.