Facing iTunes Error 11 and you are unable to Fix it? There is no need to be worried at all as there are a lot many iTunes errors which come up and as a result make you stuck up in the middle of your job. This iTunes Error is another of many errors which irritate you for a while but at the same time you should know that it is very easy to be resolved. Mostly these errors along with many others come up while restoring / updating firmware. Such like errors appear once you are updating iOS on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch but besides this the same error can appear at any other time as well so there is no hard and fast rule.
You know that SHSH blobs are required to be saved once you have to update the iOS for Jailbreak. If you try to get the SHSH blobs while restoring to new iOS using TinyUmbrella you may get this error. The error 11 mostly pops up when you try to update or upgrade your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and tells you that your device is not eligible for upgrade or restore. The iTunes Error 11 states following:
“The iPhone could not be restored. This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.”
Well the error is self explanatory, however, its should be kept in mind that iTunes only allow upgrading your iOS to a newer version but when we try to downgrade iOS iTunes gives the above error. To overcome this issue there are two ways, one which is using TinyUmbrella while the other is editing your computers Host file. The host file method is a bit lengthy while TinyUmbella method is simpler. Steps to follow to resolve this error using both methods is given below. please follow the one suitable for you as per your own desire.
How To Fix iTunes Error 11
TinyUmbrella Method – Simple and Easy
- Step-1. Download TinyUmbrella and install. You can download TinyUmbrella by searching Google.
- Step-2. Run TinyUmbrella and click on “Advance”.
- Step-3. Now Uncheck “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit”.
- Step-4. Close TinyUmbrella.
- Step-5. Now click update / upgrade / restore on your iTunes.
Host File Editing Method – Lengthy Method Separate for Mac and Windows
- Login as Administrator or put in Administrator password when prompted by UAC.
- Close iTunes if already running.
- Now search for file with the name “hosts”. The hosts file is located in different folders in different versions of Windows. For Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows NT / Windows Server (any version) its in “C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\”.
- Drag and place the file on your windows desktop.
- Now open the file in text editor like “Notepad”.
- Search for the line that contains “gs.apple.com“.
- Delete the line place hash (#) at start of the line to make it a comment.
- Close and save the file.
- Drag the file to its original location.
- Authorize the action by entering Administrator (if you are not logged in as Administrator) or clicking on “Yes” when prompted by Windows UAC.
- Start iTunes and update, upgrade or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Login as Administrator.
- Close iTunes if open / running.
- Now open directory “/private/etc“. You can search for the directory by going to Find and while holding down Command + Shift keys press G. Now enter “/private/etc” and click Go.
- In “/private/etc” directory find the file with name “hosts”.
- Drag the file to desktop and open in editor.
- Search and remove the line having “gs.apple.com“. You can also comment the line by placing a hash (#) sign at the beginning of line.
- Now close and save the file.
- Now drag the file back to its original folder i.e “/private/etc“.
- Open iTunes and Update / upgrade / restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
With above given steps you can easily over come iTunes error 11. Dear readers it is also informed for your knowledge that the above given steps not only resolve iTunes error 11 but are also helpful in resolution of few other errors related to iTunes which include error 1013, 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603 and 1604. All these errors are faced while upgrading your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch devices to iOS 5.1 or a custom iOS version including downgrading to a previous version of iOS for Jailbreaking / other purposes.